I have bought and used lots of notebooks for over 15 years and many tablets in the last 4 years. This is what I have learned.
- Size and weight matter.
- Tablets smaller than 8″ do not make sense for me.
- A tablet larger than 12″ is too big and too heavy to work well as a tablet.
- An aspect ratio of 4:3 (e.g. Apple iPads, Microsoft Surface Pro) works far better for me for tablets than an aspect ratio of 16:9 (Google Nexus 7 and most Android tablets). In fact a 16:9 tablet in portrait mode hardly works at all.
- I will never again buy a device with a physical keyboard if the keys are significantly smaller than normal standard keys.
- It drives me nuts when I use a mobile device with narrow viewing angles, when the colors shift when I move it a little bit. Thus I will only buy notebooks or tablets with IPS displays or comparable technology.